Author Topic: Brown Cow,York  (Read 2419 times)  Share 

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +37/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Brown Cow,York
« on: Mar 18 - 2014 »
A picture of the Brown Cow in 1993 when it was a Timothy Taylor's pub,anyone know when SAMs got it?.
Pic by deltrems

Offline nangle

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
Re: Brown Cow,York
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19 - 2014 »
Hi
This was never a Timothy Taylor house, they leased it from Sam Smiths for a few years, along with The Eagle Tavern, Leeds, and The Red Lion, Colne.

Offline sovsuppa

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19 - 2014 »
Yeah, the Red Lion in Colne was leased by Taylors from Sams for 21years, from 1976 to 1997 and was a tenanted house.  Sams took it back in 97 and from then on it has been a managed house.  It has to be said also that it has never been as busy as it was when it was a tenancy, for obvious reasons.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19 - 2014 »
Interesting to note that Timothy Taylor's had leases with SSOB and I assume that SSOB terminated them to put their own products instead. The three pubs already mentioned are ones known, did they have any more in the Yorkshire area  ?

Not as much effort put if a managed house I guess. Get paid regardless of takings.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline nangle

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 20 - 2014 »
For Taylors, it was just those three houses. The Red Lion was considered to be their best-performing outlet at the time, it did huge weekly barrelage, and Taylors were reluctant to hand it back!

Offline sovsuppa

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Ex Sams Manager
« Reply #5 on: Mar 20 - 2014 »
Quite right, Taylors didn't want to hand it back.   Unfortunately they had no option.  They did try to buy it, but obviously to no avail.  And you are right the barrelage was massive under Taylors.   It carried on for a while, but typical Sams, they chopped and changed their managers and spoild it. :(

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 21 - 2014 »
Quite right, Taylors didn't want to hand it back.   Unfortunately they had no option.  They did try to buy it, but obviously to no avail.  And you are right the barrelage was massive under Taylors.   It carried on for a while, but typical Sams, they chopped and changed their managers and spoild it. :(
I bet they didn't want to hand it back to Sam's. I am still surprised that the Ebor is still tenanted, seems to be hanging on and on. Taylor's seem to have  more pubs now than they had in the 80's and 90's.

Another one that the original owners wanted back a few years ago was the Harewood Arms Hotel, to service the weddings at Harewood House. Reportedly ?8m was offered and Humphrey simply turned around and said no. 
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB