Author Topic: One possible reason...  (Read 3273 times)  Share 

Offline Submitted Anonymously?

• Submitted by a non-member of this website.
  • Administrator
  • Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths.info
One possible reason...
« on: Dec 3 - 2008 »
Rumour has it that he is deliberately trying to run down the business because that is what his father did to him. And he told Humph it was up to him to build it up again, There again it could all just be dray talk, but it seems the sort of daft thing that might actually be true???

Anonymous post ref: J-03
The above message has been submitted by a non-member of this community, and may have been submitted anonymously - through our contact section. It is possible that the submitter may wish to conceal their identity, to avoid any persecution by the brewery, it's staff or agents. NOTE: The post does not necessarily come from the same person.  If not submitted anonymously, a name may be included.

Offline Mr Zak

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: One possible reason...
« Reply #1 on: Dec 3 - 2008 »
Anything's possible, but the more I read in this site, the more it reminds me of the place I used to work at - different industry, but the similarities to SS are uncanny.

The place I worked at was a family run business - owned, operated and controlled by two brothers.

The business was handed down to them by their father - who's probably turning in his grave at what they've done to the business.

The business and the brothers are asset rich, with a property portfolio of several million pounds.

They take their profits from the holding company, but the operating companies are run down, and run at a loss.

One brother is an insecure bully, who massages his own ego by intimidating staff and customers alike, by both physical threats and insidious intimidation. He's a firm believer that he's all powerful, and that when he says "Jump", the only answer should be "How high?".

The other brother lives in cloud cuckoo land, is an inveterate liar, and throws money away on his own ideas that make no commercial sense to the business. The saddest thing of all is that he actually believes his own lies.

They both live in ?2 million plus mansions, drive Aston Martins and Mercs (as do their extended family, paid for by the company) but pay their shop floor staff the minimum wage.

Their approach to managing staff is novel - do as I say, and as I know best - or **** off!

The only people who now work for them are either family members (who would be unemployable anywhere else), genuinely good people who are terrified of losing their jobs, or thugs who act as hit men, enforcing their paymaster's beliefs.

In the two years I was with them, the staff turnover was 100% +. People were dismissed on a whim, but their highly paid retained legal advisors got them out of every tight corner.

I managed to get out, before they got me out (they don't like people who dare to question their actions), so I have a lot of sympathy for most of those left behind both at my old place and Sam's.....

Sounds familiar?

Maybe they have common ancestry with Humph and Oliver - it must be in the genes!

A pint before the trouble starts.....

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 4 - 2008 »
Anything's possible, but the more I read in this site, the more it reminds me of the place I used to work at - different industry, but the similarities to SS are uncanny.

The place I worked at was a family run business - owned, operated and controlled by two brothers.

The business was handed down to them by their father - who's probably turning in his grave at what they've done to the business.

The business and the brothers are asset rich, with a property portfolio of several million pounds.

They take their profits from the holding company, but the operating companies are run down, and run at a loss.

One brother is an insecure bully, who massages his own ego by intimidating staff and customers alike, by both physical threats and insidious intimidation. He's a firm believer that he's all powerful, and that when he says "Jump", the only answer should be "How high?".

The other brother lives in cloud cuckoo land, is an inveterate liar, and throws money away on his own ideas that make no commercial sense to the business. The saddest thing of all is that he actually believes his own lies.

They both live in ?2 million plus mansions, drive Aston Martins and Mercs (as do their extended family, paid for by the company) but pay their shop floor staff the minimum wage.

Their approach to managing staff is novel - do as I say, and as I know best - or **** off!

The only people who now work for them are either family members (who would be unemployable anywhere else), genuinely good people who are terrified of losing their jobs, or thugs who act as hit men, enforcing their paymaster's beliefs.

In the two years I was with them, the staff turnover was 100% +. People were dismissed on a whim, but their highly paid retained legal advisors got them out of every tight corner.

I managed to get out, before they got me out (they don't like people who dare to question their actions), so I have a lot of sympathy for most of those left behind both at my old place and Sam's.....

Sounds familiar?

Maybe they have common ancestry with Humph and Oliver - it must be in the genes!

HS Last seen in Rover 400 pool car, OS in orange/red MG GT with exhaust held on by string ;D

Offline Mr Zak

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 4 - 2008 »
Poor lads, times must be very hard for them. When the string falls off the exhaust, they could always get the bus...
A pint before the trouble starts.....