Author Topic: bad food in the buckles  (Read 2953 times)  Share 

Offline haggis8740

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
bad food in the buckles
« on: Mar 19 - 2014 »
Called into the Buckles for some food yesterday. I had the mixed grill. Which was ok. My wife ordered the steak and ale pie. To our disapointment. There was only 1 piece of steak !!!. I complained, there was an offer for a new pie. But we came out to eat together. Not watch each other eat !!! Not even an offer of a refund !!! :'(

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: bad food in the buckles
« Reply #1 on: Mar 19 - 2014 »
Called into the Buckles for some food yesterday. I had the mixed grill. Which was ok. My wife ordered the steak and ale pie. To our disapointment. There was only 1 piece of steak !!!. I complained, there was an offer for a new pie. But we came out to eat together. Not watch each other eat !!! Not even an offer of a refund !!! :'(

The mixed grill is ok and had it a couple of times in two separate SS pubs, to see what differences there were or not. The steak & ale pie does seem to raise quite a few complaints from customers about the meat quantity. Seen it happen in two different SS pubs, one is a large SS pub/restaurant. Quite true about wanting to eat together and not separate, not good service.

Was the pub busy during your visit as it always seems quiet. Went past Saturday and there didn't appear to be many cars.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Drinker1

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 20 - 2014 »
pmsl ... the steak and ale pie ... dont start me on it ... I stopped serving it .. its a frozen boil in the bag steak and ale pie with more uniform veg than meat ....

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +23/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 21 - 2014 »
pmsl ... the steak and ale pie ... dont start me on it ... I stopped serving it .. its a frozen boil in the bag steak and ale pie with more uniform veg than meat ....

Totally agree and and know a few pubs that decided to stop selling it. This was when it was supplied by Sarahbrownridge I guess, should all their pies have long gone. Even the new supplier of pies doesn't seem to have much more meat in than Sarahbrownridge ever did. Must say that the veg has improved in SS pubs over the last year or so. Might treat myself to a meal over the weekend.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Drinker1

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22 - 2014 »

Totally agree and and know a few pubs that decided to stop selling it. This was when it was supplied by Sarahbrownridge I guess, should all their pies have long gone. Even the new supplier of pies doesn't seem to have much more meat in than Sarahbrownridge ever did. Must say that the veg has improved in SS pubs over the last year or so. Might treat myself to a meal over the weekend.

Im on about the new pie ..... It is supplied by Holdsworths.  It comes in a frozen bag as does the chilli, c & m pie, all curries, liver and onions etc you get the drift.  They are frozen boil in the bag and you cook the lid separate.  Not even allowed to serve in a pie dish as Mr Smith burns his fingers when tipping it out on the plate

Offline jackrussel

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 17 - 2014 »
Had food in a Wetherspoons in Crewe last week,, (burgers) and they were utterly dire. Sams' bait is better by far. So, I never see anyone knocking 'spoons grub, interestingly. I miss the steak and stout pud, mixed grill OK for budget meat, full of water and what else, but boil in the bag pies? OYVEH! Never heard the like. HS being trad in outlook, he should decree a pie is always BAKED, not boiled or just as bad, microwaved. I would wait for a baked pie, more time for another glass. Mmmmm, SSOBB. I'll drink up before the dear thing implodes, or goes the way of other well loved regionals / independents. Get it while you can.

Ahem. Rant over. Now, I like to go out to pubs, mainly to drink, but food is a necessary evil, so lets make it enjoyable, eh? So why can't an experiment be done at some of the SS pubs, and put things back to managers ingenuity re. food, and give them their autonomy back to compete and hopefully trounce the opposition? And compare results. There is no need fo SS to lose out if some thought is given to how it is to be done. I for one, would love to see this happen. They have the pubs of character, the beers, especially the beers, so top it off in fine style with the grub! Why should SS lose out, if it bucks up the viability of their trade, it means I can look forward to years of enjoyable SS drinking. Too many have perished and are missed by me, let steps be taken now to stop a repeat here. (Wilsons, Higsons, Boddingtons, Oldham, Matthew Brown, and those who went down the 'increased production / market share / famous name 'usual suspect' route- Holts, Tim Taylors, Lees, ,,,,,).

Oh, and jolly well bring back Strong Golden at a fair price, and let's have another cask ale too please. A Mild? Gosh! How retro!
SSOBT. My ultimate favourite brewer. Please look after me, you may need me someday.

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile