Author Topic: No single manager allowed?!?  (Read 5183 times)  Share 

Offline londongal

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
No single manager allowed?!?
« on: Jan 6 - 2009 »
Can anyone enlighten me about the following policy.. New managers will only be assigned if they are part of a couple. That means that perfectly capable potential managers cannot get the job if they are single. Mr. Smith would rather see an unexperienced couple running a pub than having an experienced man/woman (who has been around for YEARS and knows all of the regulars, the atmosphere etc) on the job..

Is this a rumour, or the horrible truth?

Offline Mr Zak

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: No single manager allowed?!?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 6 - 2009 »
Given Humphrey's enlightened approach to running his business, it's probably true - and discriminatory and illegal!
A pint before the trouble starts.....

Offline moggy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 6 - 2009 »
no this is not true, there are quiet a few single managers up and down the country, in fact he would rather have singles as he is not paying a double wage, some of the pubs are only small and it would not be viable to pay for a couple.
there are lots of problems in the running of the brewery at the moment and we all know what and who it is down too.

As you will read from other comments i have posted i am not a fan of injustice, but lets fight the establishment on facts not fantasy, stick to the real problems, like overwork and ridiculous slashing of staff hours, all the employment laws that are being broken, then we might get some sympathy and support from the people out there who believe that the brewery is fantastic because of its pricing policy, educate those people on how he is managing to keep the beer prices down ( in real terms) and not squabble over petty fiction.

Offline minsterman

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #3 on: Jul 6 - 2009 »
Mr Moggy, it may not all be fiction!

When the management job was being advertised at my local - it was advertised as a 'management couple'. A lad I know who is sensible, experienced, and an all-round nice guy - applied for the post, and I believe was possibly interviewed by Humphs.

Anyway, according to this lad, he was questioned whether or not him and his partner were living together? He answered no because both were still with parents. And he was told that on that basis they were not suitable applicants.

Our pub had previously been run by a single manager for the last 7 years. Although it is a very demanding pub. I was told that the couples wages are well below that of the single manager that was.

I suppose it may vary from venue to venue. I can only say about my local and what I've been told.
These are sad times :(