• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
The Old Crown - Location: Gloucester
« on: Mar 7 - 2008 »

Name: The Old Crown - Location: Gloucester

Address: 81-83 Westgate Street, Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL1 2PG [01452 310517]
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: The Old Crown - Location: Gloucester
« Reply #1 on: Dec 6 - 2011 »
This is my kind of pub. The downstairs is undergoing a major refurb and will be open in the next week or two.  Again I went in here on both nights of my visit.  The OBB was yet again spot on.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 7 - 2011 »
Another pub that is having a refurbishment, seems that Humphrey is spending quite a lot of late on his pubs. With another long list for the following year. Amongst them the brewery tap the Angel and White Horse
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 7 - 2011 »
Humphrey sold a large plot of land (use to be the beer garden) to the university for a big block of student flats.  Maybe that is where some of money came from to do up the Robert Raikes.  If you look on google earth you can see the flats next to the pub.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 7 - 2011 »
Humphrey sold a large plot of land (use to be the beer garden) to the university for a big block of student flats.  Maybe that is where some of money came from to do up the Robert Raikes.  If you look on google earth you can see the flats next to the pub.

Unusal for Humphrey to sell land, but i suppose he doesn't need it all. I would have thought that the SS coffers have enough money in for the refurbishments or might borrow from the banks against the assets that SSOB own.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline bigjim

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 9 - 2011 »
Guys, don't jump to conclusions about things without some evidence! It could be that Humphrey leased the land for the flats, or indeed financed their construction himself. On the other hand the Uni might have owned it all and HS leases the pub from them. I guess searching the planning history might give some clues.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 12 - 2011 »
Just found this about the new Managers of the Old Crown................................

http://www.thisisgloucestershire.co.uk/Gloucester-pubs-close-weekend/story-13664759-detail/story.html

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 6 - 2013 »
Just adding more photos.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 15 - 2013 »
Just found these photos that I took on my visit to the Old Crown..

The Pig Inn The City was closed for redevelopment two years ago and the manager moved on to run the Old Crown.  Sorry  about the quality of the photos, I took them at dusk.

Offline blue stanley

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 15 - 2013 »
The current manager of The Old Crown was a very good appointment after his previous pub had won CAMRA Gloucester pub of the year three years running. Have heard he is trying to get cask ale back into The Old Crown but I can imagine the sort of response he will get.
Before SS turned it back into a pub the building was an Army and Navy Store. After the reopening the Gloucester branch of CAMRA held its first ever meeting at The Old Crown where cask OBB and Museum Ale was on offer. With only keg being on offer CAMRA don't rate it these days.

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +33/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 22 - 2013 »
The old pub sign.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 1 - 2014 »
I do like this pub, always a warn welcome, beer spot on, what more can I ask for.   

Offline blue stanley

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 7 - 2015 »
The current manager of The Old Crown was a very good appointment after his previous pub had won CAMRA Gloucester pub of the year three years running. Have heard he is trying to get cask ale back into The Old Crown but I can imagine the sort of response he will get.
Before SS turned it back into a pub the building was an Army and Navy Store. After the reopening the Gloucester branch of CAMRA held its first ever meeting at The Old Crown where cask OBB and Museum Ale was on offer. With only keg being on offer CAMRA don't rate it these days.

Bit behind with my Gloucester news but it seems the Gloucester branch of CAMRA had there Christmas bash at The Old Crown (December 2014) with cask ale on offer! [urlhttp://www.camraingloucester.org.uk/index.php/2014/12/][/url]

Offline under250

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10 - 2015 »

Maybe Humph could sell off some bad pubs and open some new ones as they are much needed as most real ale pubs now have put the price up by 20p