Poll

Are you are being paid above the NMW? Use the calculator below..

Yes
2 (5.3%)
Yes - but only just
7 (18.4%)
No - the Brewery are breaking the law
9 (23.7%)
No where near - shafted big style
17 (44.7%)
No - time for action
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: VOTE: Managers, are you being paid above the LEGAL requirement?  (Read 15630 times)  Share 

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
Managers with accommodation. Calculate if you are being paid the National Minimum Wage

I have built a calculator to automatically work out the 'free' (or inclusive) accommodation offset..

« Last Edit: Jan 25 - 2009 by Admin »
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline duckie

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
O M G !!!!!!!!!!!  :o

It works out that for the hours we worked both of us we were on only just over 4 pound an hour and we were spending own money on cleaning materials and quiz prizes and trying to make the pub better so we were actually getting even less!!!

we're on the dole now with no prospect of work beacause of the Sam Smiths Millstone round our necks.

No-one wants to employ us because of Sam Smiths

Good Heavens Humphadumph SORT IT OUT

Duckie

Ps If you know anybody looking for a great management couple let us know!!

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
O M G !!!!!!!!!!!  :o

It works out that for the hours we worked both of us we were on only just over 4 pound an hour and we were spending own money on cleaning materials and quiz prizes and trying to make the pub better so we were actually getting even less!!!

I would suggest that by law, you are owed at the very least, the difference that would take you to the legal minimum wage - and that action should be taken for the brewery to be prosecuted.

We will have to see how many others have been robbed!

In the first instance, you could probably contact ACAS, as mentioned elsewhere on this site..

The Advisory, Conciliation and Arbitration Service (ACAS) offers free, confidential and impartial advice on all employment rights issues. You can call the ACAS helpline on 08457 47 47 47 from 8.00 am to 6.00 pm Monday to Friday. ACAS website

I can also confirm that a fund exists within the brewery, that will fund your legal expenses - should you wish to pursue legal action against the brewery. Full details can be found within your contract of employment folder!
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
I just want to remind managers of this section, where you can calculate if you are being paid legally - before casting your vote at the top of this page.

Use the purpose built wage calculator - here

Thank you.

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
Although we've had only 11 managers votes (so far) it's interesting to note, that only 2 are being paid the legal minimum wage, and one of those, only 'just'.

So 9 are being taken advantage of - and probably dare not say anything for fear of losing their jobs.

How the hell can that happen in this day an age?

It would appear that Mr H Smith continues to insist that venues can be managed on less hours than is practically possible. Which in someways is not surprising, as Smith has no experience in running a pub, and would apparently seem to be poorly educated, and showing traits of severe mental illness and incompetence.

If managers and staff do not do the amount of work 'he' believes should be attainable in a certain time period - then he just blatantly accuses them of laziness, and lying - which is pretty rich coming from someone who routinely demonstrates his own continuous truth bending, and blatant lying abilities.

So on the subject of character assassination (although in this instance, with more accuracy) this moron Smith, is literally forcing management and staff to either work the extra unpaid hours - making their gross pay below the legal minimum - or fail to supply sufficient staff hours to perform other duties, which could include, line-cleaning, cellar management, and customer serving.

I've heard it said that Mr H Smith honestly believes that because of his low prices, people will be prepared to wait for service at the bar, even if it's for an extended period, due to insufficient bar staff. Well we all know, and have witnessed otherwise. Then who gets the blame when turnover drops - yep, the managers and staff, from someone who can't even manage himself, and certainly could never be capable of effectively running a pub himself (within the remit of the law) on the hours he prescribes.

Any ex-managers / staff should accurately inform the Inland revenue, on the hours they actually worked. Then hopefully they'll be able to take Smith to task

Any manager who hasn't used the calculator yet, please do so, and use the vote at the top of this page. Thank you.

« Last Edit: Feb 17 - 2009 by Admin »

Offline brandonstrandy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
  • BrandonStRandy
    • View Profile
 why cant all the managers get together outside the brewery and protest!! they cant sack us all then!! or we dont open our pubs for 24 hours!! that would get national coverage!! its time we stopped hiding behind the bar and do something!!

Offline Milton

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
why cant all the managers get together outside the brewery and protest!! they cant sack us all then!! or we dont open our pubs for 24 hours!! that would get national coverage!! its time we stopped hiding behind the bar and do something!!
Apparently the last time the managers staged a protest outside the brewery, HS addressed the crowd, telling them that he would shut the brewery forever if they didn't all get back to work straight away (thus rendering them out of a job, because it's his brewery and he can) !

Offline brandonstrandy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
  • BrandonStRandy
    • View Profile
no that was the brewery workers. and i dont think he can just close the company down with a click of a finger.

Offline Max

• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
It's also worth mentioning, that if anyone has calculated that they are/have been paid below the minimum wage (taking into account the maximum that can be deducted for accommodation - calculator), and the hours worked have been sanctioned by the company, then the employee is legally entitled to a 'back-pay' of the monies owed, with the possibility of compensation for any hardship or undue stress caused as a result of being paid below the legal minimum.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +7/-1
    • View Profile
I am reliably informed that Humph will not pay for any staff other than the manager/ess and partner on Xmas Day. So irrespective of pub size, it's run between the two of you 12 - 3 or pay staff out of your own pocket. Boxing day he will pay for staff. So for some, a very hectic Xmas Day! What do they do in the busy / big pubs?  :U

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
On the other hand, I don't think opening on Christmas Day is compulsory.

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile

Oh yes it is...  :'(

12noon-3.00pm nothing more...nothing less.  :-X

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile

Oh yes it is...  :'(

12noon-3.00pm nothing more...nothing less.  :-X

Cheers Centurion - I didn't think they had to open but now you mention it I remember.

Offline Owen

• Member Karma = +3/-0
    • View Profile
The York Arms was open 12-3 on Christmas day, with one of the new staff working.
I believe the Brigadier opened 11-1, and I think the Tiger advertised they were opening 12-2, but I'll need to check to be certain.

Offline bitterboy

• Member Karma = +33/-0
    • View Profile
Treble time,of course he's not going to pay for staff.