Poll

Are you are being paid above the NMW? Use the calculator below..

Yes
2 (5.3%)
Yes - but only just
7 (18.4%)
No - the Brewery are breaking the law
9 (23.7%)
No where near - shafted big style
17 (44.7%)
No - time for action
3 (7.9%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: VOTE: Managers, are you being paid above the LEGAL requirement?  (Read 16822 times)  Share 

Online OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +9/-0
    • View Profile
Treble time,of course he's not going to pay for staff.

Why?  No employer is obliged to staff pay more than the basic rate on Christmas Day unless it's in their contract, and I'd be well surprised if Humphrey 'Scrooge' Smith has done that!

Offline east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Treble time,of course he's not going to pay for staff.

Whether you need staff will depend on how busy you think you are going to be in the 2 to 3 hours that your open. Then having staff in comes with other issues doesn't it? Like transport for one! No public where we are, taxi - double fare, all for two hours work?
I don't think it viable really.

Offline demadhoor

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
I am repeating myself as I have posted in Customers viewpoint. As it is directly relevant I hope no-one minds. I have recently been informed by the relief (single lady) landlady at my local SS pub that her wages have been reduced to 38 per day from 50 on previous occasions. This not personal, she assures me it is new policy. Can any Manager please confirm this.

Offline TR6KID

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
Well, I am not a manager. However, I was speaking to a relief a few weeks ago about this very subject, by chance. And have spoken to others about it since. I will stress that I have been in London a lot recently, and I am also trying to get around other SS pubs, just in case any Brewery 'informer' is reading this -  it is easy to work out where I live, I do not want anyone thinking this is my local, to the detriment of any employee. The person I was speaking to informed me that the 38 per day was the case, and had been for a while. Another member of staff chipped in and said this was why it was now so hard to get reliefs, and so in many cases, staff were paid to do it as they obviously got their hourly rate, albeit at minimum wage. So a relief could be working for virtually half the pay of a staff member with all the responsibility - a total nonsense. Furthermore, you could have a couple where the relief manager was one of them and the partner on hourly. So hubby earns 38 and wifey does 10 hours and earns 65!
Also, the rate of pay is the same irrespective of the size / turnover / location / 'quality' of the pub - you get the same for running The Chandos as a little local.            Furthermore, I'd like to know if it has been raised on here before about zero hours contracts - all recent staff ( managers excepted ), are on them I understand, this has been going on for a few years now. Comments?

Offline BIGSUPER

• Member Karma = +0/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: Sams Manager
Go buy your own pub and see how much the hourly pay would be, this trade is for people that are devoted to the trade and enjoy traditional English pubs and if you come in to it with the attitude that its just a job then you will be most disappointed and will drag the trade to the point of distinction as what is happening.
Get up stop moaning and stop being narrow minded believe in what you do and dont take it out on the Smiths, these are trying times wake up and shut up.

Offline minsterman

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
Go buy your own pub and see how much the hourly pay would be, this trade is for people that are devoted to the trade and enjoy traditional English pubs and if you come in to it with the attitude that its just a job then you will be most disappointed and will drag the trade to the point of distinction as what is happening.
Get up stop moaning and stop being narrow minded believe in what you do and dont take it out on the Smiths, these are trying times wake up and shut up.

What a load of twaddle! So that makes it okay to break the law does it!!! Get real.

Maybe you've also worked for Sports Direct?
These are sad times :(

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile

What a load of twaddle! So that makes it okay to break the law does it!!! Get real.

Whilst I don't want to promote an argument. Managers are a "salaried" position and thus hourly rates aren't applicable assuming that I understand your point correctly.
I used to do 70 hours a week as a manager and that came with the job. Take it or leave it. I worked out my wage to an hourly rate and I was the highest at the top line and lowest If I looked at it by the hour.

Offline yorkie

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
I'm no employment lawyer but I don't see that being paid a "salary" is any different to being paid a "wage" under minimum wage regulations? If anyone can indicate where it says differently in the rules then fine.
I suspect most people classed as "salaried" are paid well above the minimum wage anyway, unless they work for Sam Smiths.

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile

Whilst I don't want to promote an argument. Managers are a "salaried" position and thus hourly rates aren't applicable assuming that I understand your point correctly.
I used to do 70 hours a week as a manager and that came with the job. Take it or leave it. I worked out my wage to an hourly rate and I was the highest at the top line and lowest If I looked at it by the hour.

Online OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +9/-0
    • View Profile
It's very simple. Salaried workers are subject to the same regulations as hourly paid and must still have a set number of contracted hours. Their wage,  excluding overtime or bonuses should be calculated as pay divided by hours worked in any pay reference period. The calculated hourly rate should be at least equal to the minimum wage. Many pub managers work more than their contracted hours which is a different thing entirely, but if they're effectively forced to by their employer,  say,  restricting staff hours then that could be looked at as being paid less than minimum wage.

Offline yorkie

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
Clearly I agree with OTD but remember that the value of accommodation will  be taken into account. Even so the brewery may have problems if it ever goes to court.

Perhaps ECBD your gross pay divided by 70 hours would still be above the minimum wage? I'm sure a lot of people put in so many hours that there are paid less per hour than staff they are supervising but that would not contravene the minimum wage regulations.

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile
Clearly I agree with OTD but remember that the value of accommodation will  be taken into account. Even so the brewery may have problems if it ever goes to court.

Perhaps ECBD your gross pay divided by 70 hours would still be above the minimum wage? I'm sure a lot of people put in so many hours that there are paid less per hour than staff they are supervising but that would not contravene the minimum wage regulations.

Yes, I was contracted for 45 hours, worked 70ish but still ended up with more than the minimum wage.

Offline go49ers

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
I am hoping someone can give me some straight forward answers on this.  My wife and I applied to run a Samuel Smith's pub.  I understand it really is a way of life and not just a "job", but do most of the people that run them feel like they are paid enough?  What is the starting salary?  I did notice that an apartment is included.  Does the company hire extra staff or is it really just you and your spouse?  Pension? Days off?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Does anyone know if they hire U.S. citizens or am I just wasting my time applying?  Thanks again for your answers.

Online OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +9/-0
    • View Profile
I am hoping someone can give me some straight forward answers on this.  My wife and I applied to run a Samuel Smith's pub.  I understand it really is a way of life and not just a "job", but do most of the people that run them feel like they are paid enough?  What is the starting salary?  I did notice that an apartment is included.  Does the company hire extra staff or is it really just you and your spouse?  Pension? Days off?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Does anyone know if they hire U.S. citizens or am I just wasting my time applying?  Thanks again for your answers.

It's not all bad but I think the worst of it is the feudal attitude of Humphrey Smith who thinks he can fire people on a whim. There are always two sides to a story (three if you count the truth)  but there's plenty of anecdotal evidence of him firing good managers for no reason. Yes,  the apartment is included and you don't pay utility bills. You have limited staff hours meaning you'll be working a lot of hours behind the bar as well as running the pub. There's a decent pension and you should manage to get a day off but don't count on both of you getting the same day.  If you're eligible to work in the UK he can't legally have a problem employing you but I can't help thinking he probably wouldn't. How about a nice job with prospects and good training at Wetherspoons?

• Member Karma = +15/-1
    • View Profile

It's not all bad but I think the worst of it is the feudal attitude of Humphrey Smith who thinks he can fire people on a whim. There are always two sides to a story (three if you count the truth)  but there's plenty of anecdotal evidence of him firing good managers for no reason. Yes,  the apartment is included and you don't pay utility bills. You have limited staff hours meaning you'll be working a lot of hours behind the bar as well as running the pub. There's a decent pension and you should manage to get a day off but don't count on both of you getting the same day.  If you're eligible to work in the UK he can't legally have a problem employing you but I can't help thinking he probably wouldn't. How about a nice job with prospects and good training at Wetherspoons?

Whilst I would echo what OTD says I would add that it is after all a "sales" job, and folk who work in selling are always asked to improve sales. Also, Sam''s have many managers who have worked for the brewery for many years. I would add, don't sell your house as you may need it at some point in the future. I know nothing of working for Wetherspoons as I don't frequent the places.