• Administrator
  • Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
    • SamSmiths
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
The Menston Arms - Location: Menston
« on: Mar 7 - 2008 »

Name: The Menston Arms - Location: Menston

Address: 26 Main Street, Menston, Ilkley, West Yorkshire, LS29 6EY [01943 872107]
Always in support of the Samuel Smiths Brewery - although very concerned about the current company strategy towards its staff and customers, as exercised by the Directors. We believe in promoting common sense, decency, compassion, fairness and compliance with company, employment and English law.

Offline bubble

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
Re: The Menston Arms - Location: Menston
« Reply #1 on: Apr 15 - 2010 »
Rumour has it the manager here is up on a disaplinary next week for not hitting the surplus

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29 - 2010 »
Found this reveiw for this pub as no one appears to have reviewed it or visited.

http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/19/19255/Menston_Arms/Menston
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 29 - 2010 »
I used to go into this pub once every year, as it was on route of a 26 mile run/walk I used to do every February for about 15 years. This was before I was into Sam Smiths. Have to say we always had a good pint and a bloody good meal.  It was hard to get back out and run/walk the last 6 or so miles to the finish.

ian.

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 3 - 2011 »
An interesting bar in this Samuel Smiths pub. The OBB was ok and the manager was friendly and welcoming. The OBB was 1.49 and the Alpine was 1.80.

I appear to have lost the outside ones temporally.Sorry

The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline bigjim

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 3 - 2011 »
I love that bar - how very 70's!

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10 - 2011 »
Found one of the external ones.

It has funny opening times to Sunday 12-3 5.30 - 10.30, Monday 5.30 - 11,Tuesday - Saturday 12 - 3 & 5.30 - 11. No food available i dont think.

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 9 - 2011 »
I believe that the managers here are going back to the brewery for another disciplinary hearing. These hard working managers have done there best in a pub that is pretty busy. There not getting there 5% surplus, but neitehr have the relief managers that have run it whilst they have been away for several years. Another good couple that might get sacked becasue they cost Humphrey too much money in comparison to newer managers. 

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 3 - 2011 »
Went back in last Sunday, Kidded the wife we was going to Otley Chevin for a picnic.  Had a sandwich and tea in the car watching the planes coming into land.

Sorry but I didn't get any good photos inside, just too dam busy for that. but could do no better then the one posted already. Could not even take any of the tables outside, again too many people around.

Geograph ( my photo host website) don't like photos of people looking at the camera. They are classed as family snapshots and  frowned upon.

The 2 I've posted below (outside shots) are for members only for the time being, Sorry again, ian.

Offline jboycott

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 3 - 2011 »
Ian, next time you're in the area if you fancy a change try the Chevin Inn on the road to Otley. Great pub with a super pint of Taylor's and good food, the chips are the thickest and best ever!

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 3 - 2011 »
Do you mean this one?

If your into your TT have you been into the Golden Fleece half way up Haworth hill. Two years since I've been in But It had all 5 TT on tap.  Plus the pub in Goose Eye just outside is well worth a visit also.  I don't limit myself to SS pubs. ;D

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 3 - 2011 »
Tried to find a photo of the Golden Fleece in Haworth. Would you believe it out of 262 photos there is not one. But the one I've posted is looking up the main street from outside the Golden Fleece.  I can see a trip to Haworth with camera in hand coming up shortly.

Anybody can see this photo by clicking on the link..........................

In a minute when I re find it. :-[

Right found it...................

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/2531508
« Last Edit: Aug 3 - 2011 by ian »

Offline jboycott

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 3 - 2011 »
Yeah, that's it , ?8.50 for a pie and pint! don't remember it being that expensive , sure we thought the food was great value. I think they had TT Best on which i prefer to the ubiquitous Landlord.

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 10 - 2011 »
The Chevin pub is a lovely pub for a good meal and a decent pint. Went in earlier in the year and it was still good. I believe that it is part of the same group that also own the Black Horse at Ackwith, just outside Otley.

What is been advertsied in the corner of your picture, as didn't notice it on my last visit.

• Member Karma = +25/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 18 - 2013 »
I understand that the managers here are now under pressure to up the takings by a massive margin or lose the pub. Three weeks is not along time to get that amount of trade into the pub. Humphrey has threatened them with a lovely SS pub in Beeston, not good. Humphrey told them they were inadequate managers, yet they have been running the pub for the last 14 years.

Even with the electric pumps in for just over a year now they are still under pressure from Humphrey. The equipment sometimes plays up and only dispenses quarters and not half's. This is not the managers fault but the equipment. The only good thing is that the stock is now level. But with no postmix on offer, you now pay for bottled lemonade and soda water. The complaints are mounting up at the cost. Also no half's of bitter shandy on offer, due to the dispense equipment.

All because the managers are on the old contracts, and get payed alot more money than the new managers on the new contracts. So Humphrey would be saving even more money.