Author Topic: The Malt Shovel Inn - Location: Oswaldkirk  (Read 13571 times)  Share 

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: The Malt Shovel Inn - Location: Oswaldkirk
« Reply #15 on: May 20 - 2012 »
Heard today that the manager as left the company and gone back lorry driving, Why  ::T:: more money driving then serving beer.

Thought that the managers here had been with SS for over a year. So have they jsut had enough and decided to jack it in. With the salary that Humphrey is offering, I am not surprised that they can earn more lorry driving.

I believe he as been with sams before and he came back working for them because he wanted the Malt Shovel.  He sounded a company man to me.

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 20 - 2012 »
Heard today that the manager as left the company and gone back lorry driving, Why  ::T:: more money driving then serving beer.

Thought that the managers here had been with SS for over a year. So have they jsut had enough and decided to jack it in. With the salary that Humphrey is offering, I am not surprised that they can earn more lorry driving.

I believe he as been with sams before and he came back working for them because he wanted the Malt Shovel.  He sounded a company man to me.

Yes I thought that they had both worked for SS in the past. You don't get many company people working for SS nowadays.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline Squibby

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20 - 2012 »
They are a lovely couple and have done well in the Malt Shovel. A couple that will be greatly missed by all.

However, having worked for SS myself and also being a driver, driving provides a much greater income each month than SS could provide.

I wish them both all the best for the future.

Squibby

humphrey

• Non-Member
« Reply #18 on: May 20 - 2012 »
Do not know how to start a new post.

But has humphrey had a paddy with his crisp suppliers.

My local has no crisps, said to be a dispute with the supplier, any ideas.

Online east coast beer drinker

• Member Karma = +14/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 20 - 2012 »
Do not know how to start a new post.

But has humphrey had a paddy with his crisp suppliers.

My local has no crisps, said to be a dispute with the supplier, any ideas.

Aldi?

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 21 - 2012 »
There does appear to be a lack of crisps at SS pubs at the moment. Apparently it's a dispute with the supplier. Not heard much else about it.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline OnTheDrink

• Member Karma = +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 22 - 2012 »
There does appear to be a lack of crisps at SS pubs at the moment. Apparently it's a dispute with the supplier. Not heard much else about it.

If you think about how he treats his staff and customers, I can only imagine how badly he treats suppliers!

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 22 - 2012 »

If you think about how he treats his staff and customers, I can only imagine how badly he treats suppliers!

Yes he has probably dumped yet another supplier. Or they have given up with SS and jsut not making anymore crisps.

Offline mike66

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 6 - 2013 »
He was a lorry driver before taking on the Malt Shovel which he took on after he heard it was available. He worked for them before being a lorry driver,Managing The Master Cooper in Middlesbrough.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 6 - 2013 »
He was a lorry driver before taking on the Malt Shovel which he took on after he heard it was available. He worked for them before being a lorry driver,Managing The Master Cooper in Middlesbrough.

So they must have got over their 1 year contract and been given a transfer to another SS pub. Is this the guy called Rick I think ?

Offline mike66

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jun 6 - 2013 »
He is he started on the Linthorpe many moons ago then got the cooper. He left the cooper about ten years ago and moved to Helmsley. He took the malt shovel over after he heard it was available, having gone back to lorry driving after the cooper. He said he took a pay cut for lifestyle and the place itself as he had been using it for a few years and liked it so much. I was surprised to hear he was no longer there when I bumped into his ex partner from his cooper days. He was particularly proud of the place and happy with the pace of life . Great pub I must say. In my top 5 at the moment

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jun 22 - 2013 »
Found myself driving past here so I took some more photos.

Offline canaldrifter

• Member Karma = +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Jun 22 - 2013 »
When you say, "Found myself driving past..." does that mean that most of the time you're lost Ian?   :()

Tone

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Jun 22 - 2013 »
When you say, "Found myself driving past..." does that mean that most of the time you're lost Ian?   :()

Tone

Have you been talking to my wife, Tone?  I'm always getting lost, sometimes in very funny and dangerous places.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jun 23 - 2013 »
Just been putting some photos on Geograph and I came across this one. 

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3523445

The Malt Shovel to the last building centre left.   What a nice place this village is.