Author Topic: The Kings Arms - Location: York  (Read 23942 times)  Share 

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
Re: The Kings Arms - Location: York
« Reply #15 on: Mar 4 - 2011 »
No managers here, they apparently walked out of the training course. Do we really blame them, probably after eading this site or heard from other sources. Its been run by the manager from the York Arms.Not sure when the next manager wil start, as tehy carn't even find relief managers, yet proper managers.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline delboy

• Member Karma = +0/-0
  • Nellies - Luvely Jubley
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 4 - 2011 »
You would have thought Mr Smith had figured out by now, that the old ways were more productive..

• Experienced / well trained management
  • Adequate employment hours
  • Effective area management
  • Fair treatment of staff and managers
  • Staff and Management incentives
  • More freedom for policies (inc. music etc) for each venue

No doubt things weren't perfect before hand, and maybe some managers / area managers were taking some liberties, who know's? But dealing with those problems, must be a lot easier than dealing with the current ones!

Offline whizz

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Mar 4 - 2011 »
All this talk about managers coming and going makes me wonder, is the Humph acting within the law or not? If he's within the law then it seems as though the law is not adequate enough to protect these people, and if he's acting illegally then why is he getting away with it.?

Offline BlackDog

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 4 - 2011 »
I have just returned from a wonderful weekend in York which included (due to the wish of my host) a trip to the King's Arms.

I went along despite the fact that I knew Alpine was gone and Taddy prevailed (urrgh). However the jumped up Muppet behind the bar who I have no idea whether he was the manager or just a barman had the audacity to tell me they are the same brew but with different names? We know better!

When I went on to tell him that Taddy initially appeared as a weaker beer and that most pubs on the other side of the pennines sold either just Alpine or both I was told I was a liar and that was that. I went outside with my mates and got on with enjoying the day rather than argue the toss.

Enjoyed the Hansom Cab and Trafalgar Bay but didn't make the Crystal Palace this time around I did however stop in Tadcaster at the Angel and White Horse on the way home, (another one crossed off) it was excellent.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 4 - 2011 »
I must say that i have been in several Sam's pub's now that have had either unknowledgable managers or staff about the products or general pub management. Yet he is trying to sack all the managers that have the old contracts to replace them with new inexperienced ones. Then as mentioned on here he gets new managers who when they come up to nearly year, Humphrey sacks them with no reason.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline DarkieBoy

• Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • Global Moderator
  • Member Karma = +18/-1
    • View Profile
    • Jet Tec ink cartridges - UK Ink Supplies
  • SamSmiths Status: In the 'trade' - another company
« Reply #20 on: Jul 4 - 2011 »
I must say that i have been in several Sam's pub's now that have had either unknowledgable managers or staff about the products or general pub management. Yet he is trying to sack all the managers that have the old contracts to replace them with new inexperienced ones. Then as mentioned on here he gets new managers who when they come up to nearly year, Humphrey sacks them with no reason.

It could be that the information the barman had came from Humphrey Smith and therefore it is not directly his fault....who knows?  There also appears to be a "mushroom syndrome" in the company, with managers and staff kept in the dark about certain things.  Oddly, a contradiction.

DB.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 4 - 2011 »
I believe that the new managers are kept in the dark about the company and product information. The training course is only four days for the basic training and then a day i think for the food. Then the managers are left to their own devices and some seem to swim, while others sink. Not always by their own means, just given a pub that is not going to take much more money. Even if the manager pulled customers in from 5 other Sams pubs. A very strange company to work for, but an interesting one from a customers point of view.

Offline BlackDog

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 4 - 2011 »
I have no problem accepting he has been misinformed but it was the arrogant nature and insistance that I was a liar that went against the grain. That's why I walked away, supped up outside and went on to enjoy the city.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Aug 7 - 2011 »
Went in here on my way to the Train Station.

All the inside photos was taken within two minutes and shows how easy it is to take photos of a empty pub  even when that pub is full to bursting at the seams.

Sorry again but these photo's bar maybe the last one will remain the members only.

If you are not a member, then why not sign up.  It is free and in secret so no fear of being found out.  The only way to be outed on here is if you do it yourself.

ian.

Offline centurion

• Member Karma = +8/-1
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: I'd rather not say!
« Reply #24 on: Aug 7 - 2011 »
Did you make the Trafalgar Bay or the Wellington?

Been some interesting comments about the TB lately.  8)

Offline larry

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Aug 7 - 2011 »
Surprised you didn't get a photo of the flood level marker on the wall Ian. Most 'tourists' take a pic of that.  ;)

Just as an afterthought, having looked at the photo's again and noticing the new CCTV cameras, do you think he will be collecting the recordings and looking for you?   ;D ;D

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Aug 7 - 2011 »
Surprised you didn't get a photo of the flood level marker on the wall Ian. Most 'tourists' take a pic of that.  ;)

Just as an afterthought, having looked at the photo's again and noticing the new CCTV cameras, do you think he will be collecting the recordings and looking for you?   ;D ;D

Re flood level marker, No I din't but then I'm not a tourist in the true sence of the word, but I did take this one of one of the windows at the King's Arms.........................................

Sorry, this one will be for members only.

• Member Karma = +24/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Aug 10 - 2011 »
Great photo's ian and it looks athough it was pretty busy on your visit. I must say that on my visits to York this year it doesn't seem as busy as previous years. Has the recession hit, even SS pubs.

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Dec 11 - 2011 »
There's a photo in today Sunday Mirror of the Kings Arms. The River Ouse is up to the top of the outside tables again. 

Offline ian

• Member Karma = +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 9 - 2012 »
Here is 32 photos of the Kings Arms for anybody to look.  (members and non-members)

Just click on the link below, click on any thumbnail you want to see in detail.

http://www.geograph.org.uk/search.php?i=33218035&page=1

Ian.