Author Topic: The Abbey - Location: Darley Abbey  (Read 12280 times)  Share 

Offline pint568

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
Re: The Abbey - Location: Darley Abbey
« Reply #15 on: Apr 25 - 2013 »
Having nipped in for a pint or two over the weekend, I can now confirm that the Undercroft is open.

For those who have visited the pub and been impressed by the main bar, wait until you witness the Undercroft. With no natural light, a sizeable fireplace and an uneven brick floor, it really is a step back in time. More importantly though, the OBB was in fine fettle!

The only odd thing is that the 'heart' of the pub has moved downstairs now, which leaves the upstairs main bar a bit lacking of atmosphere when I was in, but still it's certainly been a good move to open up the hidden gem.

The other bit of news i that the pub is now open all day, everyday as previously it closed during the afternoons in the week. It also looks like they are trying to plug the food a bit more than the previous management.

And finally, it's the first time I've seen Yorkshire Stingo listed on a pub's price list, I hope you are sitting..., priced at ?9.46! (or was it ?9.64? One of the two!). I didn't see any bottles of it knocking about, but they did have reasonable selection behind the bar including Organic Chocolate Stout, Taddy Porter and the fruit beers...

Offline OldBreweryDrinker

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
  • SamSmiths Status: A CUSTOMER
« Reply #16 on: Apr 25 - 2013 »
Good to hear that the undercroft is opening up, would love to go back and have a look. May be a job for later in the year. How long have the management couple been there ? Which one of the three menu's are they trying ?

The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline pint568

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 29 - 2013 »
I didn't see the menu as it was a Sunday and they were only doing Roasts. From a distance the food looked ok.

As I live in Yorkshire I only visit the place intermittently so I'm not sure specifically when they started but off the top of my head I'd say October (-ish!). I was initially led to believe they were relief but that was obviously not the case as they've been in ever since the last long-standing management left for pastures new.

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 29 - 2013 »
Thanks, yes some SS pubs only do Sunday lunches on Sunday and not the main menu. So at last the pub has stable managment again. Good to hear.
The opinions that I express are my own !! A Fan of SSOB products. Time for a pint of OBB

Offline ToyBoyT

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 16 - 2016 »
Following Lee and Sally leaving, Humphrey managed to appoint a couple of kids to run the place and they successfully reversed all the good work done by Lee and Sally. However...they didn't last long as locals voted with their feet!

But now it has all changed!

Locals Kevin and Sue have been running the pub for 6 months now...and what a difference!

The old character of the place has returned...the locals have returned...the fire is on...the food is getting great reports....and the old large Christmas decorations were re-instated giving the place a truly festive spirit.

And let's not forget the beer...the OBB tastes great. Even with the severe flooding that has affected Sam Smith's brewery operations...the OBB in its oak casks is still getting through...well done Humph!

Well done Kevin and Sue...long may it continue.

Offline under250

• Member Karma = +2/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18 - 2016 »
Whats the price of the keg and cask beer.

• Member Karma = +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jan 20 - 2016 »
Following Lee and Sally leaving, Humphrey managed to appoint a couple of kids to run the place and they successfully reversed all the good work done by Lee and Sally. However...they didn't last long as locals voted with their feet!

But now it has all changed!

Locals Kevin and Sue have been running the pub for 6 months now...and what a difference!

The old character of the place has returned...the locals have returned...the fire is on...the food is getting great reports....and the old large Christmas decorations were re-instated giving the place a truly festive spirit.

And let's not forget the beer...the OBB tastes great. Even with the severe flooding that has affected Sam Smith's brewery operations...the OBB in its oak casks is still getting through...well done Humph!

Well done Kevin and Sue...long may it continue.

Glad there is some good news about managers, as plenty are leaving or been moved around the Empire of late.Hope there is some stability soon to many of the pubs.  :GIVEB:

Offline pint568

• Member Karma = +0/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 11 - 2017 »
The Abbey is now shut after the chimney caught fire on Friday. I've attached the local paper's news report. I hope there's not too much damage to the place as it's a gem, but the piece does say firefighters had to knock some brickwork out to subdue the fire. Hopefully the place isn't shut too long.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/abbey-pub-ticking-time-bomb-901029