There were panic stations at the Brewery the other day when a brewery worker enter the Angel & Whitehorse and said that the chimney was on fire. The manager quickly ran the brewery and was told just to phone the fire brigade. This they did and the fire officers arrived, and took a look. The sparks and flames out the top of the chimney were pretty impressive. Told not to leave the building, it was OK to stay. The fire officers took well over an hour to get the fire out of control, and had to enter the offices to see if any sparks had caught (in the Audit or creative accounting office). Next person to enter the pub was Linda Stuart concerned about the type of logs that were been used on the fire, were they too sappy. She later disappeared and was happy with the explanation.
Apparently the fire has been relined recently and also swept twice in the last few months. Even the architect from the brewery was in the pub looking at the fire and talking to the firemen about why it had caught fire. The manager thought that it might have been the wood, but was told by the fire service that it was the coal that was used. Your not suppose to use normal coal on a fan assisted fire place. Guess who is to blame (Humphrey), buying cheap coal that is the wrong type for the fire. Humphrey was trying to save a small amount of money on coal, but could have burnt down his brewing empire with it. Good luck saving money in the new Year.
On my next visit neither of the fires were been used, so they are not been used till after the refurbishment.
PS Humphrey please buy some more coal, as it might get cold